Monday, February 9, 2009

Revenge of the Cheerleaders, take two


When I was a cheerleader, I had this recurring fear of tripping in the middle of a dance routine and falling flat on my face in front of everyone. It never happened during high school or college, but the day has finally come. I've fallen smack on my face right here on my blog, which thankfully, is much less public than a basketball arena, but still embarrassing. Three weeks ago I posted about Revenge of the Cheerleaders by Janette Rallison - no problem, right? Well, I didn't think so until I was discussing it with my daughter today. Then to my horror, I realized that I was thinking about All's Fair in Love, War, and High School when I posted, and that because of Lindsey's unfortunate habit of removing the slipcovers from her books, I had the titles mixed up.

Gasp. Choke. Sob.

Sorry Janette.

She's such a gracious lady that she didn't even chastise me for being such an idiot. I only hope I can look back and see the humor in this situation one day. Right now, not so much.

So, here are my thoughts on Revenge of the Cheerleaders (I double-checked the title):

Chelsea is a cheerleader who seems to have it all - beauty, popularity, and designer style. But beneath the facade, she's still hurting from her ex-boyfriend's wandering eye. With her single mother working overtime to make ends meet, Chelsea is stuck keeping track of her wild little sister who is driving her crazy (on purpose, of course). When the little witch doesn't show up where she's supposed to be on Halloween, Chelsea goes somewhere a fifteen-year-old sister shouldn't be, but where that same sister's boyfriend is singing with his band - a college party.

Enter Clark Kent to help in her hour of need. Literally. Chelsea doesn't find out his real name because the witch she tackles to the ground isn't her sister after all and she's kicked out out of the party. But she can't forget him either. She runs into him the next time she's on babysitting duty, and suddenly doesn' t mind that she had to hear her sister's loser boyfriend, Rick, sing again. If Rick hadn't started singing a song that slammed her, she might have found out Clark Kent's name. If she hadn't fled the party so quickly, Clark Kent might have learned hers.

What follows is Much Ado About Nothing - high school style - where pretenses are as real as you make them, and insecurities bloom into suspicions that test loyalties and tear dreams apart. Revenge is not so sweet after all, especially when it hurts those you love. Chelsea joins with Rick to save her sister from a terrible mistake and has to put old prejudices aside for Clark Kent, who turns out to be Ricks brother, to realize that she really is the type of girl he thought she was before the fiasco. In the end, Chelsea discovers the power of love to heal wounds both old and new, and that forgiveness is as liberating as truth.

Chelsea would seem too perfect from the outside looking in, but with her thoughts and insecurities anchoring the storyline, you can't help but be drawn into her world. I found Revenge of the Cheerleaders to be an entertaining and compelling read. It would make a wonderful gift for those difficult-to-shop-for tween girls in your life. My twelve-year-old has read it twice.

1 comment:

Janette Rallison said...

No worries--glad you liked the book!