Monday, May 26, 2008

Manuscript Request

An agent requested my manuscript! YAY! I'm so excited, and nervous. I hope she likes my story. And despite the lack of success so far, I cling to the hope that eventually, I'll find an agent who likes my story as much as I do. I just hope it's her. I think I'd really enjoy working with her. But the reality is that most manuscript requests do not result in offers for representation. It's all part of this arduous process of getting published in today's market. Someone told me that landing an agent was like winning the lottery, but I disagree. I think it's like organic chemistry. Dynamic chemistry is necessary in both the writing and the agent/client relationship, but getting there is grueling because it's the weeder process.
I dropped organic chemistry in college when I freaked out after earning a D on the first exam. Two days later, I learned the high grade was a C, but I was still in freak mode and dropped it anyhow. My friend, who earned the C, later told me that half the class dropped after that first test and the professor curved everything at the end, so she earned an A for the semester. Needless to say, I kicked myself really hard after that and promised not to quit something I started or believed in just because it was difficult at first. Since then, the type of hope that lodges in my heart has proved to be a stubborn thing. So I hope Elana loves The Devil's Key (and the Green Bean War, and Night Flier, Day Dreamer, and Windwatchers), but if not, I'll find someone who does. Eventually.

3 comments:

Sirpa said...

Great!! Exciting!! Very exciting! '')

Kim said...

So excited for you, Jen! This is wonderful news. Elana will love your manuscript.

Diane said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you! Let me know how it goes. Good Luck!