Thursday, January 22, 2009

All's Fair in Love, War, and High School

I haven't had time to read much lately, because I was helping Jeff submit two articles. I have one more to go, but I took a break on New Year's and nicked Lindsey's copy of All's Fair in Love, War and High School by Janette Rallison and finished the next day. Yes, a year of painstaking work, voraciously read in mere hours. It is unfair. Wouldn't it be nice if the words just poured from our brains to our fingertips in final version? It sure would save time. If anyone figures out how to do it, please let me know;)

All's Fair in Love, War, and High School was very cute and made me smile. One of my favorite scenes was the psycho cat who freaked out on the way to the vet, puked in Samantha's boyfriend's car, and then escaped to the roof of the clinic while Samantha's boyfriend took off. What a break up! You'd think those types of things can't happen, but since Janette's own psycho cat inspired the scene, I thought she did a fantastic job taking a really bad day and turning it into a funny read. Maybe I should just sit down and brainstrom my worst days ever and then figure out how they could work in one of my stories.

Anyhow, that was the last book I read, until I started a new one yesterday. I have a ton to do, so it wasn't on my radar screen of 'things to do next.' But becuase I'm sick and I feel crummy and when I got the mail, surprise, there was a book for me from Joelle (post on Pay it Forward and I'll send you something too), I couldn't resist cracking the cover and taking a peek. I really only meant to take a peek, but after the first paragraph, I had to read the second. Then the third and before I knew it, I was on Chapter 5. It's sad that my life is so busy right now that I have to justify reading, even to myself. So my excuse is that I need to recharge before I can help anyone else and reading always cheers me up.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

so what book was it? by the way if you haven't read "Beauty: a retelling of Beauty and the Beast" by Robin McKinley it is REALLY good. I love it, you would too. I think Disney swiped some of their stuff for the movie from this book. It's worth it.

Kim said...

Jen, I didn't know you were sick! Hopefully "were" is the right word to use--are you okay now? I also would love to know what book it was that Joelle sent you. Hoping you're doing great, and I'll see you Thursday at writers' group!

Janette Rallison said...

Glad you liked it!