Sunday, November 9, 2008

Janette Rallison

I met Janette Rallison last week. She's so cool. She was invited to speak at my children's Jr. High and High Schools, but she also spoke to the young women at church. I introduced myself and started asking about writing and the publishing industry in general. Then I invited her out to lunch. Being a kind, helpful person, she offered to review my first three chapters. Hooray! I handed them over two days later. Embarrassingly enough, I'd never read any of her books. So I stole Lindsey's copy of It's A Mall World After All and read it straight through. It was very cute (and clean), which are elusive qualities in today's young adult literature. If you are looking for a fun YA read, I definitely recommend her books.

Anyhow, Janette met with my writers group on Thursday evening, returned my marked up chapters, and offered valuable feedback. THANK YOU JANETTE! I internalized more about fiction writing from her in four hours than I did at an all day conference. So I'm back to the editing chopping block. However, now I am focused with specific things to fix. I only hope that once the surgery is over, my story will have new life.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Yes! Thank you Janette! How wonderful that such a talented writer came to our little writers' group to give us pointers on writing and publishing. I'm a serious Janette Rallison fan for that alone, not to mention that she writes great books!!! Thank you for setting up our meeting with her, too, Jen. You rock!

Emily said...

Jen, this is exciting. Way to take the horse by the reins! I just know that someday I'm going to be buying a signed copy from you.

Sirpa said...

What Emily said!! '') What a treat that was!!!

Janette Rallison said...

It was great to meet you too! Hope the revisions are going well.